Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Lots of sewing fun

I love reading all my usual quilting blogs around Christmastime because everyone is making such beautiful quilts and other crafts! I have such a long to-do list of things that I want to do this year, but I didn't get to all of it.  I have done some fun projects lately though.  

My favorite thing I've done lately is a nine-patch wonky-block quilt. I went off of a tutorial that I found on Moda Bake Shop.  I made it for myself.  It was the first quilt that I made and from the start I knew it was going to be for me.  It was the most fun I ever had making a quilt because I didn't focus on any imperfections.  I knew that my eyes were the only eyes that would be critiquing it.  The process has been so wonderful.  When making it, I realized how much fun I have quilting when I just enjoy the process- rather than focus on imperfections to make the "perfect gift." 

I'm not completely done with it yet.  I have it all quilted, but I have yet to find the perfect binding.  Since I will be traveling to Colorado the day after Christmas, I plan to hand-stitch the binding on during the drive.  I am so excited to have it done and cuddle up with it. I wanted it to be super warm, so I experimented with wool batting for the first time.  It was so easy to quilt and I love it so far. Once I am done with the entire quilt, I will give my final verdict on wool batting. 

Here is a picture of the design after I laid all the blocks out before completing the quilt top. It's so different than any other quilt I've ever made- from the color scheme, the style, everything! But I LOVE it. 

Other than that, I finished this quilt and gave it to my mom. 


I made this skirt from a pattern. It took me forever and I thought it was so hard.  I am just bad at making clothes because the pattern said easy on it, which is pretty embarrassing. I just need to learn how to read a clothes pattern from someone! But after struggling through it, it's finished and it almost fits :)

This is a rag quilt that I made for my cousin, Colby.  He's 16 years old and it was hard for me to find a fabric line that I really liked for a teenage boy.  I finally settled on Hometown by Moda and I love it.  He loves it too and gets lots of use out of it!

This is a doll quilt that I'm in the process of making. I think the style is called a "ticker tape quilt." It's such a fun quilt to just sew on every now and then.  I just grab something out of my scrap bag and sew it on.  My goal is to give it to my 2 year old niece for Christmas. I better get busy! (Since I took this picture, I'm actually really close to being done though, so I don't have that much left to do.)



This qiult is another rag quilt that I made.  I had originally thought of keeping it for myself.  Turns out, my mom had a friend that she really wanted to give it to.  I was so sad to give it up, but I decided that it would be a nice gift for my mom to give.  The lady that received it had a mother who was a seamstress, so she really appreciates the work that went into the quilt, so I'm glad that the quilt ended up with someone who really appreciates it and likes it.  

Finally, this is a little twenty-minute tote that I made for myself.  It was so easy to throw together.  Now that I can make these so quickly, I am making them for all my friends for Christmas with all different fabrics.  I am putting pockets on them and they all look very cute! I can't wait for my friends to get them! 

Thats all of my projects lately! Hopefully I will have more finished projects soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment